The Director of HIT, Evangelos Bekiaris, is a PhD Mechanical Engineer of the National Technical University of Athens, former Research Director (Grade A Researcher) and former Head of the sector “Driver & Vehicle”, since HIT establishment (first elected Institute Researcher in 2001). He has participated in over 100 research projects up to date, roughly 40 of which he has coordinated. His field of expertise covers issues of transport safety, automated and clean vehicles, smart grid applications, specialized telematics applications for vehicles and public transport, accessible transportation and personalized services for people with reduced mobility.He has been/is:
- Editor and/or author in 42 scientific book chapters, 71 publications in international scientific journals and 288 presentations in international conferences.
- National Representative for the HORIZON 2020 in the Smart, Green and Integrated Transport Programme Committee.
- President of the European Conference of Transport Research Institutes (ECTRI - ectri.org) from 2018 and member of its Board from 2016.
- Leader of Pole 10 - Training and Education of the European Rail Research Network of Excellence (EURNEX - eurnex.org) from 2016 until today.
- Vice-President of the European Association for Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (AVERE - avere.org) from 2014 until 2016.
- President of the European Association HUMANIST European Centre of Excellence in Human Machine Interaction (HMI) in Transport (humanist-vce.eu ) from 2012 until 2015.
- Chairman of the Forum of European Road Safety Research Institutes (FERSI - fersi.org) from 2008 until 2011.
- Board member of the Hellenic Researchers Union, from 2012 until 2015.
- Editor-in-Chief of the European Transport Research Review – An Open Access Journal (ETRR) of Springer from 2008 until 2013.
- Visiting Professor in Transport Telematics at the Mechanical Engineering department of University of Trento (Italy) from 2008 to 2009 and at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) from 2008 until 2013.
- Lecturer on Transport Telematics in a Master course of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH) from 2003 to 2011.
6th Km. Charilaou - Thermi