The Director of HIT, Evangelos Bekiaris, is a PhD Mechanical Engineer of the National Technical University of Athens, former Research Director (Grade A Researcher) and former Head of the sector “Driver & Vehicle”. He has participated in over 100 research projects up to date, in 35 of which has led all the research consortium. His field of expertise covers issues of road safety, clean vehicles, smart grid applications, specialized telematics applications for vehicles, public transport and maritime transport. He has also profound experience in accessible transportation and personalized services for disabled people and elderly.He has been/is:
- Editor and co-author in 6 scientific books and with 68 publications in international scientific journals and 252 presentations in international conferences.
- National Representative for the HORIZON 2020, Smart, Green and Integrated Transport Programme Committee.
- Vice-President of the European Association for Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (AVERE - www.avere.org) from 2014 until today.
- President of the European Association HUMANIST European Centre of Excellence in Human Machine Interaction (HMI) in Transport (www.humanist-vce.eu) from 2012 until 2015.
- Chairman of the Forum of European Road Safety Research Institutes (FERSI - www.fersi.org) from 2008 until 2011.
- Board member of the Hellenic Researchers Union, from 2012 until 2015.
- Editor-in-Chief of the European Transport Research Review – An Open Access Journal (ETRR) of Springer.
- Visiting Professor in Transport Telematics at the Mechanical Engineering department of University of Trento (Italy), as well as visiting Professor, at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne (UK).
- He has also teached Transport Telematics in a Master course of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH) from 2003 to 2011.
6th Km. Charilaou - Thermi