The 9th edition of the Young Researchers Seminar will be held from June 5 – 7, 2019 in Thessaloniki, Greece hosted by the Hellenic Institute of Transport and supported by (1),
ECTRI (European Conference of Transport Research Institutes) www.ectri.org
FEHRL (Forum of European National Highway Research Laboratories) www.fehrl.org
FERSI (Forum of European Road Safety Research Institutes) www.fersi.org
(1) Each of the co-organisers (ECTRI, FERSI and FEHRL) pay 2500 EUR for organisational costs of the YRS. Each of the organisers have a representative in the Steering Committee (SC).
What is the Young Researchers Seminar (YRS)?
An event organised every two years in a different European country.
The common vision for the Young Researchers Seminar is the preparation of a new generation of transport scientists and science based professionals in the area of transport.
The objectives are:
- To enable the networking of young transport researchers belonging to the Supporting Organisations Members e.g. ECTRI, FEHRL, FERSI and from United States’ Universities (2).
- To train young researchers, by tutorial means through a retroactive manner, to elaborate, prepare papers and present oral scientific communications.
Therefore, this Seminar is not only aiming at scientific excellence, but also at presentation skills and the ability to put science into practice.
(2) Since 2007, thanks to the Memorandum of Understanding between ECTRI and the Transportation Research Board from the United States, participation to the Seminar has been opened to young researchers and tutors from the US Universities.
What are the topics of the Seminar?
The indicative research domains covered during this seminar are:
- Transport economics, policy and transport behaviour
- Transport sustainability and environment
- Transport safety
- Intelligent transport systems (ITS) & Traffic management
- Transport civil and road engineering
Papers dealing with electrification, digitalisation & connectivity, autonomous & unmanned transport systems, Mobility as a Service (MaaS) will be given particular attention and focus for this Seminar.
Who is invited to participate?
The young researchers are incited to participate by their own institutes. They are novice researchers, post Master graduates/PhD students and are involved in one of the aforementioned research domains.
Attention will also be put on ensuring a balanced representation among the institutes based on the following criteria:
- Maximum 1 participant per research domain for institutes with more than 300 staff.
- Maximum 3 participants in total for institutes with less than 300 staff.
- And 1 US young researcher per domain.
Young researchers are invited to submit abstracts in relation to the above mentioned topics.
The tutors are senior researchers from the Supporting Organisations but also from United States’ Universities (international cooperation through ECTRI-TRB Memorandum of Understanding).
What is offered?
The format of the seminar is:
- Content-oriented through technical sessions with oral presentations of 20 minutes and 10 minutes Q/A.
- Cross-cutting oriented sessions of two types:
- small key note sessions on specific subjects;
- scientific methods on tools and research process sessions.
Besides the scientific activities, where tutors shall moderate the content sessions that are organised under the supervision of the Steering Committee and retroact to the presentation, there are also networking activities such as technical and social visits and an official dinner.
In the context of the SKILLFUL project, the YRS 2019 will further:
- Explore links to the TRA2020 Conference which theme is: “Enabling the transformation - transport and mobility (r)evolution for smart, green and integrated society” and in particular to the TRA VISIONS students competition in view to attract the young scientists to participate to the conference and competition.
Look for support to the young researchers to publish in Open Access Journals (e.g. European Transport Research Review).
YRS2019 Key Dates
- September 3, 2018: Launch of call for abstracts and call for tutors.
- November 30, 2018: Deadline for submission of abstracts and nomination of tutors.
- January 18, 2019: Notification on abstracts review results and tutors appointment.
- March 1, 2019: Deadline for full draft paper submission.
- March 1 to May 28, 2019: Exchange between tutors and young researchers.
- May 21, 2019: Deadline for submission of final paper.
- May 28, 2019: Deadline for submission of presentation.
- June 5 – 7, 2019: Holding of the Young Researchers Seminar.
More information about the Young Researchers Seminar 2019 you can find here.