e-Drive Academy (www.edrive.yme.gov.gr) is a continuously evolving web portal, created and operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Infrastructure, Transport and Networks, on Road Safety training and awareness issues. It constitutes the first integrated initiative in Greece in the specific field.
e-Drive Academy key objectives have been:
- The development of an innovative tele-training platform that will make use of the modern learning interaction techniques.
- The provision of a high-quality interactive training e-content on road safety and mobility, accompanied by user manuals.
- The creation and transfer of knowledge according to the age of the varying trainees’ population.
The web portal that has been developed (www.edrive.yme.gov.gr), through the training services it is providing, aims at:
- attracting citizens of all ages,
- contributing in the creation of a mature traffic and mobility culture, key aspects of which will be safety and respect to other road users and environment,
- constituting a sustainable learning and awareness portal for all Greek citizens.
The integrated life-long training programme that has been developed, is being supported through electronic books and leaflets, interactive SCORM compliant elearning multimedia and game-based elearning. Each of one of the aforementioned tools consists of training and assessment parts, which are adapted to the needs and special characteristics of each trainee cluster.
The training content, all of which has been developed by CERTH/ HIT (training and assessment parts both) has been developed upon three criteria, namely the maximum transfer of knowledge, the trainee age and their current level of driving experience.
The training sessions, starting from primary and secondary education levels, are aiming to the provisional and methodical knowledge acquisition on road safety and mobility, contributing to the progressive creation of a safe and ecological driving and mobility culture. In the context of an integrated primary and secondary education on road safety and mobility, complementary manuals for the parents and teachers have also been developed.
Training is extending to all driver cohorts, in compliance with the current training framework in driving schools. In specific, training content has been developed for novice drivers, elderly drivers, professional drivers (bus drivers, truck drivers, taxi drivers and motorcycle delivery drivers), vulnerable road users (pedestrians, elderly pedestrians, persons with disability, bikers, motorcyclists), as well as for driver trainers. Furthermore, separate horizontal training sessions have been developed on Economic/ Ecological Driving and Defensive Driving topics.