Project Title: PracticAl and Effective tools to moNitor and Assess CommErciAl drivers’ fitness to drive
Duration: 36 months (01/05/2021 – 30/04/2024)
Description: PANACEA will design, develop, and test a holistic driving ability assessment system for commercial drivers to be used pre-driving, during driving and at the roadside, paired with cloud-based countermeasure and coaching solutions. In order to achieve this, PANACEA will create driver-oriented, health-based, touchless, and Use Case (UC) driven health monitoring and assessment solutions capable of detecting alcohol, licit (benzodiazepines), illicit (methadone replacement) drugs, fatigue, stress, and cognitive load. Those drivers detected as unfit by the assessment/monitoring technology will receive personalised, targeted support from the cloud-based countermeasure and coaching system. Commercial Health Toolkits (CHTs), combining assessment/monitoring techniques with countermeasure solutions, will be tailored to fit the specific needs of each UC. The CHTs aim to become an ecosystem of support and knowledge for drivers and operators alike, available before/after/during shifts as well as on site and roadside. The sensitivity, specificity, robustness, ease-of-use, satisfaction, and acceptance of these CHTs will be evaluated with over 90 AV shuttle, e-truck, coach and taxi drivers and courier service riders, operators and stakeholders, across 3 UC-driven Pilots (Greece, Spain and Sweden), considering gender specificities. A 4th UC focus on the transferability of the improved knowledge and technologies to other transport modes (i.e., aviation, maritime and rail). The primary outcome of PANACEA is the creation of new assessment technologies and countermeasure strategies which come together as a new fitness to drive paradigm applicable in commercial vehicle operations with vehicles at various automation levels. Finally, with the support of the Advisory Board, policy and legislative recommendations and updates of existing standards for health provision for commercial transportations will be provided. PANACEA has 16 partners from 8 countries coming from multidisciplinary fields
Objectives: PANACEA main objectives are to:
- Create commercial driver-oriented, health-based and Use Case (UC)-driven health monitoring and assessment methodologies and technical solutions (i.e., ‘Commercial Health Toolkits’; CHTs).
- Estimate the sensitivity, specificity, effectiveness, and operability of CHTs for alcohol, licit (benzodiazepines), illicit (methadone) drugs, fatigue, stress and cognitive load.
- Evaluate the usefulness, ease-of-use, satisfaction, and acceptance of the solutions across 3 UC-driven Pilots, considering gender specificities.
- Develop and evaluate an effective strategic, tactical, and operational cloud-based coaching & supporting solution for commercial drivers combating driver impairment.
- Create a new paradigm in Fitness to Drive (Fitness to Drive 2.0), considering new technologies and commercial vehicles’ varying automation levels.
- Provide policy and legislative recommendations and updates of existing standards for health and safety provision in commercial transportation.
- Assess the safety, socioeconomic and Quality of Life (QoL) impacts of CHTs and relevant monitoring, assessment and coaching solutions and policies Europe-wide.
HIT key role and responsibilities: In PANACEA, CERTH/HIT has assumed the following responsibilities:
- Technical and Innovation Manager
- Quality, Ethics and Data Manager
- Leading Use Case (UC) B and being a pilot site to investigate the effect of alcohol, drugs, fatigue, stress, cognitive load on professional taxi drivers and service riders.
- Leading the work on the user and stakeholder clustering, identifying their needs and wants and defining use cases
- Leading the work on HMI adaptability and personalization and the development of the central Decision Support System
- Leading the work on the extension of existing standards and developing a framework for design guidelines and principles of drive state monitoring and assessment systems.
- Leading the work
- Leading the work on risk assessment on technical, behavioural, operational and project level.
+30 2310 498 466
Dr. Evangelos Bekiaris
+30 2310 498 453 & +30 211 1069 599