Project title: New Cooperative Business Models and Guidance for Sustainable City Logistics - NOVELOG
Duration: 36 months (1/6/2015 – 31/5/2018)
Urban areas represent the greatest challenges for freight transport and service trips, both in terms of goods distribution and service allocation performance, and environmental impacts (air emission, traffic congestion, road safety, accidents and noise). The objective of the project is to enable knowledge and understanding of urban freight transport and service trips in urban planning. This objective will be accomplished through a series of activities for the development of Tools and guidance documents for understanding the UFT environment and validating them through 12 city cases across Europe (Athens, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Graz, Gothenburg, Emilia Romagna Region, London, Mechelen, Pisa, Rome, Turin, Venice). The project will assist the stakeholders involved in decision making to better understand the operating framework of urban distribution in the city, select the most appropriate measures for addressing the city’s problems, assessing the impacts of the measures in accordance with the goals set, plan, adapt and implement measures commonly accepted through participation in stakeholder platforms and integrated in the urban strategic planning. The goal of the project is through the use of the Tools, guidance documents and roadmaps
44to develop the framework for the development of Sustainable Urban Logistics Plans (SULPs) for cities. The NOVELOG project (funded through the Research Programme of the EU Horizon 2020) has a duration of 3 years (June 2015 – May 2018) and is comprised of 28 partners on a European level coordinated by the Hellenic Institute of Transport of the Centre for Research and Technology Hellas (CERTH/HIT).
The salient scope of the project is the enabling of knowledge and understanding of freight distribution and service trips by providing guidance for implementing effective and sustainable policies and measures. This guidance will support the choice of the most optimal and applicable solutions for urban freight and service transport, and will facilitate stakeholder collaboration and the development, field testing and transfer of best governance and business models.
The specific objectives are set as follows:
- To understand, assess and capture current needs and trends on UFT.
- To enable determination of optimum policies and measures, based on the city typologies and objectives.
- To develop a modular integrated evaluation framework for city logistics which will portray the complexity of the life cycle of UFT systems.
- To incorporate the best fitting policies and measures in integrated urban planning and Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMP) at local level, focusing on, facilitating and guiding multi-stakeholder cooperation for improved policy making.
- To field test, implement and validate all the above in selected European cities and thus demonstrate applicability and sustainability of NOVELOG tools.
- To ensure the continuity of the project’s impacts by creating and establishing take-up strategies and roadmaps for the best city logistics solutions.
Coordinator of the panEuropean consortium.
Novelog Project Office