Project title: Sustainable InterRegional cOastal & Cruise maritime tourism though COoperation and joint planning
Duration: 18 months (1/11/2016 – 30/4/2018)
Description: With €40 billion economic impact and 6 milion passengers, cruise tourism plays a key role in Europe and especially in the MED, being the top cruise market and amidst strong socio-economic pressures. As cruise tourism grows, the challenge for the Mediterranean is to exploit its full potential in a (environmentally, socially & economically) sustainable way. Addressing this challenge is hindered by three factors:
- existing knowledge is insufficient & data gaps still exist
- coastal regions struggle to fully capture benefits generated by cruise tourism
- coordination of strategies and policies at regional & transnational level is limited.
SIROCCO, being co-funded by the Interreg-Med Programme, aims at contributing in all above three areas.
Objectives: The project aims to provide:
- an integrated view of the current state and future state of Mediterranean cruise tourism
- evidence-based, stakeholder-verified, transferrable recommendations on developing sustainable and responsible Cruise Value Chains (CVCs) in the Mediterranean
- co-ordinated strategies and policies at (inter)regional and transnational level regarding the development of a sustainable and responsible cruise maritime/coastal tourism.
HIT key role and responsibilities: CERTH/HIT is the Technical Coordinator of the project