Project title: Promoting citizens’ active involvement in the development of Sustainable Travel Plans in Med Cities with Seasonal Demand
Duration: 30 months (01/11/2016-31/04/2019)
Description: 5 MED cities with intense seasonality, having realized the challenge and need for developing acceptable Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans, join their forces under MOTIVATE project in order to place the traveller at the centre of the planning procedures and of mobility related decision making.
Unlike the traditional data collection methods, where citizens and visitors are “passive” data sources, the innovative approach of MOTIVATE lies in their active involvement in transport data collection/management, problems identification and proposed measures evaluation. MOTIVATE promotes a new model of SUMP development. The new model is based on the exploitation of social media and crowd-sourcing apps. The common model of implementing and applying these techniques that will be created and updated after the pilot testing cases, as well as, the transferring protocol that will be created and will include, processes, techniques and tools to ensure the efficient and consistent way of transferring the projects' results to other cities, will support the SUMP development and enhancement in all the Med area.
The partners’ consortium consists of:
- Pilot cities: Almada (Municipality), Rhodes (Municipality), Ioannina (Municipality), Siena (City), Larnaka (Municipality)
- Public Transport Operator: Tiemme Spa
- Centre for Research and Technology Hellas (CERTH)/Hellenic Institute of Transport (HIT) as scientific technical coordinator;
- MemEx ( Technical and evaluation issues) and Aegean Energy Agency
Moreover, DAFNI (Network of Sustainable Aegean and Ionian Islands) and RODA, the municipal transport company of Rhodes are associated partners.
Objectives: MOTIVATE’s main objective is to go a step further by focusing on the needs of urban areas with high seasonality (seasonal variations in transport demand) and try to align not only residents’ but also visitors’ needs with policy goals on sustainable and accessible mobility services. MOTIVATE intends to help decision makers to gain a strong understanding of the main mobility problems that residents and tourists face and the most accepted and sustainable interventions, using cost effective ways of data collection and analysis and this will make the development, update and monitoring of SUMP much more targeted and efficient.
Through MOTIVATE platform, the user (citizen / tourist) showcases everyday trips evaluate current transport services and assess future measures, thus provide valuable information to the Competent Authorities for efficient transport planning. For their input, users are rewarded with virtual points they can spend while playing the MOTIVATE game (awareness raising game for experiencing sustainable mobility benefits) or exchange with real gifts from the cities.
HIT key role and responsibilities: HIT/CERTH role:
- Is responsible for the technical management and coordination of the testing activities – it supports pilot cities for successfully undertaking pilot activities and managing risks
- Develops MOTIVATE platform (http://motivate.imet.gr/) and the respective apps (MOTIVATE app) :
- prepares an analytical report describing methodology, processes, techniques and protocols that are used in order to ensure the broad transferability perspective of the projects
+30 2310 498 454