Acronym: CROCODILE 2 project
Project Connecting Europe Facility 2014-2020
Duration: 11 months (01/01/2018 – 01/12/2018)
Description: The CROCODILE 2 corridor is a co-operation between public authorities, road administrations and traffic information service providers of in total 13 European Member States that are committed to set up and operate a data exchange infrastructure, based on DATEX II. That infrastructure will be used to exchange data and information among all involved stakeholders, including private partners, with the goal to provide harmonised cross-border traveller information services along the whole corridor. Project partners are working together to improve cross-border traffic and transport, through implementing harmonised and synchronised ITS applications on the Core Network Corridors in this area, enlarged by important stretches of the Comprehensive Road Network.
Objectives: The main focus of the CROCODILE 2 corridor is on exchanging accurate and reliable data in the best quality available among road operators, private stakeholders and administrations, especially for generating road-safety and truck-parking information services. CROCODILE 2 corridor deployments aim to support Member States and partners to do implementations in a harmonised way and in parallel to contribute to the policy objectives of the European Commission, even after project finalisation.
The main objectives of CROCODILE 2 project are:
- Implementing infrastructure (e.g. DATEX II nodes) and processes (e.g. data exchange) in accordance to the needs identified in Commission Delegated Regulations (EU) No 886/2013, No 885/2013 and No 962/2015 to form the basis for service deployments,
- Implementing infrastructure & processes to ensure the accessibility, exchange, reuse and update of road and traffic data for the provision of real-time traffic information services,
- Fostering cross-border co-ordination of strategies and services,
- Providing information services to truck drivers on parking space availability along the CROCODILE 2 corridors,
- Implementing services for user-information on safety critical traffic information by implementing cross-border ITS applications for travellers,
- Implementing a National Access Point (NAP) and a National Body (NB).
CROCODILE 2 involves the Central and Eastern European (CEE) countries to ensure data exchange and service provision along three main road corridors (Baltic – Adriatic, Rhine – Danube, Orient-East-Med).
Participating Member States include Austria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland, Romania and Slovenia, as well as Albania, Hungary and Slovakia in the status of associated Member States.
HIT key role and responsibilities: The Hellenic Ministry of Infrastructure, Transport and Networks is the National Coordinator for the Greek side, while the Centre for Research and Technology Hellas – Hellenic Institute of Transport, the Greece Technological Educational Institute of West Macedonia, the University of Patras and the Egnatia Odos S.A. are implementing bodies of project activities.
Dr. Evangelos Mitsakis
+30 2310 498 459
Dr. Georgia Aifantopoulou
+30 2310 498 457