Project Title: Sustainable Tourism & Mobility Hand by Hand development
Duration: 36 months (01/02/2020 – 31/01/2023)
Description: SUSTOURISMO is a project funded by the European Union’s ‘Adriatic-Ionian Program INTERREG VB Transnational 2014 -2020’. It aims to upgrade the environment and highlight the natural and cultural heritage elements within the Adriatic region through the reduction of environmental pollutants caused by the increasing use of private vehicles of tourists travelling around the Adriatic countries. The reduction is expected to be achieved through increasing the modal share of active transportation (walking, cycling), Public Transport (PuT) and lower-carbon mobility concepts (car sharing - car pooling, electromobility).
In this context, attractive touristic packages will be developed to meet the tourists’ mobility requirements. In addition, the SUSTOURISMO application for mobile phones will be designed, developed and pilot tested for a ten months period in nine cities of the participating countries (Albania, Greece, Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia). Ten partners (Research Agencies, Universities, Municipalities and Regions of the Adriatic - Ionian Sea) in close cooperation with CERTH/HIT lead partner of the consortium, join their forces to examine and evaluate the efficiency of innovative combined tourism-mobility services.
- Identifying crucial tourism & mobility services providers and involved key players
- Experience exchange for sustainable tourism improvement (through sustainable travel) within the Adriatic - Ionian region
- Exploring tourists’ needs (surveys for identifying interests and needs; sights, areas of historical and cultural value, alternative types of tourism)
- Building cooperation among identified players for developing a win- win environment; evoke sustainability responsibility to tourists while increasing tourism & mobility sectors profitability
- Exploiting the power of new technologies for travelers’ engagement in ‘green’ travelling – “SUSTOURISMO” app (for sustainable tourism awareness raising, for crowd-sourcing/crowd-learning and assessing environmental friendly and responsible travel behaviors)
- Delivering methodologies for transferring and adopting the lessons learned by the pilot cases to other ADRION regions
- Providing ADRION policy makers with a Sustainable VolunTourism Boost Action Plan (ROADMAP) that concentrates guidelines for reaching sustainable tourism goal
HIT key role and responsibilities: HIT as the coordinator of the project will undertake the following actions:
- Administrative and financial management of the project
- SUSTOURISMO mobile app development (Android and iOS version)
- SUSTOURISMO app pilot testing as well as touristic package pilot testing (to be developed for the city of Thessaloniki)
+30 2310 498454