Project tile: Common Framework for a European Life Cycle based Asset Management Approach for transport infrastructure networks
Duration: 24 months (1/9/2016 - 31/8/2018)
Description:AM4INFRA project is a coordination and support action (CSA) funded by the H2020 programme with the aim to enable transparent, risk-based optimization of investments within and across the modes. The overall objective of this CSA is to launch a life cycle and risk based Asset Management (AM) framework approach enabling effective governance of transport infrastructure networks across Europe. The framework approach is supported by data management tools that ensure transparency and compatibility of optimization and collaboration actions of the infrastructure authorities within the modes, across the modes and across Europe.
This common framework paves the way towards an integrated agenda such that it allows smooth functioning of the European transport networks, providing outstanding value for stakeholders and customers. The project’s scope is to support the infrastructure authorities in their decision making and planning as identifying the priorities on basis of (remaining) cost-performance and service levels. AM4INFRA aims to innovate the decision making by the authorities to the extent that the hinder on traffic is optimized on the basis of transparent, coherent and consistent considerations that can be better communicated to society. In addition, the innovations provided by AM4INFRA can offer new knowledge and represent the ‘seed corn’ for an implementation agenda through which the effectiveness of the sector can be further enhanced.
Building on ongoing bottom-up actions, best practices and contemporary experiences of four National Infrastructure Agencies (NIAs) that are considered frontrunners in the development and application of asset management in their networks governance, it will deliver the first ever common European AM framework approach that enables consistent and coherent cross-asset, cross-modal and cross-border decision making. The overall Concept, its major conceptual elements and the targeted results are depicted in the preceding figure.
The envisioned common framework comprises 3 major elements represented as three separate cogwheels:
Common language: common set of principles, definitions and key performance indicators.
Common data and data management: meaningful standards for cross-European information management.
Common approach: meaningful criteria to quantify performance, risk and life cycle cost building on a coherent set of common methodologies.
These three cogwheel elements need to be aligned and in place to make the framework operational and to enable the roll out to network owners and assist managers in Europe.
The main objectives of AM4INFRA are:
- To provide NIAs with insight on how AM practices would support the development of network management strategy, adoption of decision making processes, operational requirements and how asset knowledge can be utilized.
- To provide NIAs with a common, practical framework for a life cycle and risk based AM approach capable of governance on the highest aggregation level of (cross-modal) network considerations.
- To enable NIAs in acquiring meaningful data, sharing knowledge and good practices to achieve “learning by doing” and continuous improvement of the operations.
- To connect NIAs of different transport modes in terms of AM systems, methodologies and practices (multi-modal management).
- To provide NIAs the means for replication and wider roll-out of the developed solutions.
CERTH/HIT Role: Partner
CERTH/ΗΙΤ, as a partner of AM4INFRA, participates to the following subtasks:
- Identification and classification of principles and methods to optimize investments and action beyond singular modalities.
- Development of a high-level and comprehensive AM framework of transportation networks.
- Design of the Living lab working methods and outcome requirements.
+30 211 1069 598