Project title: Optimal fuel consumption with Predictive PowerTrain control and calibration for intelligent Truck
Duration: 36 months (09/01/2016 - 08/31/2019)
Description: OptiTruck is an innovation action (IA) project funded through the H2020 programme with the aim to further improve energy efficiency by at least 20% on Euro VI HDVs (40t). The overall objective of this project is to develop a global optimiser which brings together the most advanced technologies from powertrain control and intelligent transport systems, with a number of innovative and complementary elements to maximise the potential utilisation of individual innovations.
The proposed system utilizes the information provided by new generation navigation systems and big data analytics such as predictive traffic and weather conditions, road topography and road network and information about transport routes to develop a strategy for the best route and the best velocity profile for fuel consumption optimisation. The developed strategy will be optimised dynamically in real road conditions in real time using the dynamic traffic and weather information and surrounding vehicle information. The global optimiser, using a predictive model based control system will realise a minimum of 20% fuel consumption reduction while optimising also the consumption of other consumables related to emission control on a typical transport mission without exceeding EURO VI emission level.
Through real driving trials, optiTruck aims to demonstrate the global optimiser, taking into account road topography, traffic and weather condition, vehicle configuration and transport mission. An impact assessment methodology will be also developed to extend the local and small-scale demonstrations to a wider evaluation to explore potential benefits of using the rich cloud data sources and powerful computing facilities for faster-than-real-time modelling and simulation. Social equity, economic, and environmental factors will be considered in the assessment to address the main societal challenges for the transport sector.
To this end, the optiTruck project envisions the creation of a global platform not only for exchanging existing knowledge between automotive industries, but also for promoting horizontal collaboration in new ways, essential for wider uptake of energy saving solutions across the sector, in Europe and the world, within and beyond this project.
Objectives: The main objectives and innovations of optiTruck are:
- Develop demonstrators to be tested in real environment: i.e. trucks equipped with real-time emission monitoring connected together with other sensors or data sources to the powertrain control unit of the truck for further processing (data fusion/predictive module) (to be on-line with Euro VI)
- Develop predictive intelligent modules based on predictive navigation and other environmental data
- Develop software for the fusion and the optimisation of engine calibration mapping and powertrain control
- Carry out real-environment trials with two demonstrators
- Undertake validation and impact assessment to demonstrate the 20% fuel reduction
- Develop strategies for larger deployment of the proposed system within and beyond the project
HIT key role and responsibilities: Partner
Within the context of this project, CERTH will:
- provide support to ensure that cloud systems simulation is possible
- contribute in the design of data storage (formats, structures and types) and data access logic
- be responsible for scenario development and simulation, data reliability and security, and verification of the cloud system
- contribute to the HMI unit design and development, and participate in the verification phase of the HMI unit
- contribute to the evaluation tools and lead the demonstration and validation activities
+30 2310 498 467
Dr. Afroditi Anagnostopoulou
+30 211 1069 598